The CrowdCell is a 4G Relay concept, whereby an intermediate “Crowd” enabled device relays traffic between a customer UE and the macro network. Its main benefit is to be a rapid and low cost small cell solution thanks to its Plug-and-Play (P&P) concept by means of using the available 4G coverage.
The CrowdCell Project Group will focus on creating a CrowdCell by leveraging General Purpose Processing (GPP) platforms, Software-Defined Radios (SDR) and Open Source designs for both hardware and software to minimize costs with a “one design” flexible platform.
The scope of this Project Group will be complementary to other projects already at play in TIP and will focus effort in the following areas:
- Development of a GPP, SDR and open source design-based CrowdCell applicable to multiple deployment scenarios, including but not limited to:
- Coverage extension and mobile hotspots
- Enterprise and Retail small cells
- Low cost consumer small cells
- Moving small cells, including security-related challenges
- Planning for 5G and IoT implementations
- Definition of a fully customizable hardware/software architecture with plug and play deployment capability
- Data analytics solutions
- Smart gateway solutions
- Promotion of an open community of application developers and platforms to drive innovation
PATENT LICENSING: RAND License Option, as set forth in Section 5.2.1 of the Telecom Infra Project IPR Policy.